Monday, December 7, 2009

A First for Ben

I love to hear Ben talk about "growing up granola" before it was cool.  Sure now it's normal and even considered better to buy organic and eat whole grains.  Ben assures me that his family has been eating this way long before Whole Foods or Wild Oats moved into your neighborhood.  I'm not sure Ben always loved eating this way, in fact I've heard stories of him rummaging around the kitchen saying, "Mom, there's no food in our food."  Nonetheless he has experienced many firsts since he has been on his own.  My favorite is 19 year Ben deciding he needed to try every kind of cereal in the cereal isle and discovering "Captain Crunch" and "COOOOOkie Crisp."  

This holiday season I was in the mood to make some cookies and Ben mentioned he had never made cookies.  When I ask how that could be, his response was "We never had sugar in our house growing up!"  So I thought it was appropriate to put him in charge of the cookie making.  He did a great job!  We've been enjoying chocolate chip mint cookies all week!

3 comments:

John and Bree plus 3 (and a dog!) said...

LOVE the cookies on the paper bags... just like Dad. :)

lizard said...

Oh man..I remember being at your house once and watching your mom put wheat germ on her waffles instead of syrup! Glad you are experiencing the wonder that is sugar!

Life According to Scott said...

OH Mandy, Send Ben over I need help making cookies for SUNDAY's Christmas Party!