Saturday, February 27, 2010

Fire and Nice

Does anyone else feel like Will Ferrell's 2007 ice skating comedy Blades of Glory has come to life during the Olympic Men's Figure Skating competition?

If you haven't seen the movie here is your quick synopsis:

In the National Figure Skating Association, professional ice skaters

Chazz Michael Michaels (Will Ferrell)

and Jimmy MacElroy (Jon Heder) are rivals in the world championship competition. Chaz Michael Michaels thinks very highly of himself and believes he is the most deserving of the gold medal at National Skating Competition. He should be awarded a medal just for the amount of confidence he has in himself.

One of my favorite Chaz comments is: Mind-bottling, isn't it? Yeah, mind-bottling. You know, when things are so crazy it gets your thoughts all trapped, like in a bottle?

Jimmy MacElroy comes across as an all around good guy, clean cut, cute, yet painfully childish. The competition really heats up between the two and without spoiling anything words are shared and a "battle" begins on the ice.

This year in Vancouver a similar rivalry seems to be brewing. Even with the competition over and after medals have awarded there still seems to be some "battling.". Tonight NBC aired the Champions Gala where all the ice skating winners had one last opportunity to dazzle audiences. Ben and I tuned in and out in between catching up on our previously recorded 24 episodes on our DVR. We were pleased to catch the performances from

Yevgeny Plushenko and


Evan Lysacek.

Ben has been calling Plushenko his favorite "Olympic Villain." With comments like "I should be awarded the platinum medal," and "I was positive that I won. But I suppose Evan needs a medal more than I do," how can you not get caught up in the drama?

As for Evan, Ben and I couldn't get over his bedazzled snake wrapped out his neck the night he won gold. It's like the perfect clash of masculinity and femininity; a jeweled cobra!

Tonight we were pleased to get one last moment from this dynamic duo when Plushenko came out and danced to a French song "Je suis malade" the American commentators told us that means

"I Am Sick."

I mean really! Can it get any better than this?

Anyone who recognizes the reference in the blog post title we'll give you a dollar!

**Good job Casey!

4 comments:

John and Bree plus 3 (and a dog!) said...

John and I just watched that movie 2 nights ago!!! Seemed like a perfect way to celebrate the Olympics. I don't think I'd ever seen the whole thing - pretty funny though! Steve Colbert had some pretty funny things to say about the figure skating controversy... You should check it out! :)

Casey said...

I thought the same things you did as I watched the ice skating. I had johnny weir pegged as jimmy tho until he didn't skate well. cool trip to vancouver. looks like a ton of fun. not that i want the dollar, but the reference is mitchell talking about his old ice skating days from modern family on abc right? or am i way off? the trivia is actually what led to my commenting. hope all is well

mandy & ben said...

Good job Case!

lizard said...

"Claire was nice because it was ironic and she wasn't"
Tim and I actually had the exact same conversation about the parallels of Blades of Glory and the figure skating feud. The feathered costume looks oddly familiar...