Thursday, July 22, 2010

Love the Road You're On

I'm deviating from the graduation posts for a quick moment... but I promise it's for a good reason. Last Friday I made an appointment to get my haircut with a friend who is going to beauty school. Her school is in Bellevue (about 15 minutes from Seattle) so when I was leaving for the appointment I asked Ben if he wanted to join me. He said he would and that he could get some lunch while I was getting my hair done. The afternoon went just as planned, I got a great haircut and saw a friend I haven't seen since high school, Ben got his lunch, (and stopped to get me a little "pick-me-up" - thanks!) and we headed back to Seattle. We planned to go home for a bit and then out to see the new summer movie Inception.

After we were home for about a half hour Ben announced that he couldn't find his wallet. He thought he left it in the car so he went out to look for it and I didn't think much of it. Ben has a way of "losing" things. I say it like that because he very rarely loses anything, he just misplaces things and then claims they are lost. So I assumed the wallet would be under the car seat or somewhere in the house and it wouldn't be a big deal.

He came back and announced that he didn't find the wallet, so he started looking around the apartment. I decided to go out to the car thinking that maybe the wallet had been overlooked. When I came back empty handed Ben started to get a little nervous and began frantically throwing things around. Couch cushions, piles of mail, bedding, after manically searching for about 30 minutes our apartment looked like it had been robbed. In the meantime I checked all our accounts and there hadn't been any activity so I continued to remain calm, and convinced that the wallet wasn't actually lost.

Ben on the other hand was getting more and more worried and now thought he possibly dropped his wallet in the parking lot where he got lunch in Bellevue. So we hopped back in our car and drove over to Bellevue to start our search there. We looked everywhere Ben had been in the hour that it took to get my haircut. Wibley's (where he had lunch), my parents house (to drop something off), and finally the beauty schools parking lot. NO. LUCK. As we were going home (now too late to make it to our movie) Ben said that he would search the house again and I decided to check the accounts one more time.

As the night got later and later our accounts remained untouched but no wallet was to be found. So I decided just to be safe to call and cancel any of the cards that could be used if the wallet did happen to be in the wrong hands. I cancelled everything and Ben and I got ready for bed. Ben was bit depressed and frustrated and I was trying to reassure him that maybe someone had found it and was going to mail it to him in the next couple of days.

As I was brushing my teeth I thought, I should look behind our bedroom door. I'd seen Ben look there 3 or 4 times but I thought maybe a fresh pair of eyes might do the trick. Our dark brown-espresso colored dresser is located right next to our door and as I closed the door I saw Ben's wallet on the back corner of the dresser behind our TV. Ben's wallet also happens to be dark brown-espresso colored so it blended right in.

As I walked out of the room with the wallet in my hands Ben looked a little scared. We had driven all over town, torn apart our place, and CANCELLED cards, all for a wallet that was in our apartment all along. After about a 10 second stare down we both started laughing and laughed all night about the situation.

Last night as I was watching a little TV I saw this commercial and laughed all over again!

Dear Ben,

Despite the occasional pot holes, I love the road I'm on with you. :)

3 comments:

John and Bree plus 3 (and a dog!) said...

Mames, It is SO funny that you posted this commercial as a "Mamesie-Demsie" moment. I totally thought of you guys the first time I saw it & have thought about you two every time I've seen it since! Ha! :)

The Speres said...

That commercial is what sparked our interest in buying a Subaru (which we finally did in May...)! Glad the wallet was found. Your pictures of the Watsons, of the campus, and the flowers are simply wonderful!
Miss you!

Life According to Scott said...

Mandy, Now that is funny.. that commercial will mean a lot more now.... LOL I know the feeling of loosing stuff.. HECK I cant find my bed half the time!