Monday, November 29, 2010

Mason Lake, WA

I know you're saying, 'where's Mason Lake?'  That's what we all thought when we headed over to the Olympic Peninsula for a quick family vacation.  My sister Carrie and her husband Colin found a little lake front cottage for all of us to stay.  While the indoor accommodations left me wanting for a bit more comfort (I know, I'm a princess) the dock jetting out onto the lake was a great perk!  The lake was sort of shockingly cold when you first jumped in but eventually we all got used to it and had a great time swimming around.  Yes, that's Ben floating away in the big yellow inner tube!
The High Steel, the biggest tourist attraction in Mason County, was a must stop for us on our holiday weekend.  Colin even found a ravine for us to repel down to get a better view of the falls.  My sister (below) is literally hanging onto roots scaling down the ravine.  We all made it down and back up safely, some of us fared a little better than others.  I'll spare you the long (and embarrassing, for me) story, but if you really want to hear it... just ask.


Ben and I picked up a hiking book for the Olympic Peninsula before we left and talked everyone into two hikes while we were there.  Below are pictures from our Spider Lake Hike.


The last night at the cabin there was a beautiful sunset, we went out onto the dock and goofed around doing some silhouette shots.  I don't think Colin was too amused; I believe his exact words were,
"Mandy, I'm pictured out!"

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ben...what are you doing hiking???? Mandy are you sure he didn't sit down at the bottom and tell ya'll he'd wait until you came back???? Ahhhh childhood memories.