Monday, March 7, 2011

2010 Albums of the Year (BELATED)

After watching last month's painfully long Grammy telecast (research for my trivia league), I was reminded that I never compiled a list of my favorite albums of last year. I was happy to see that my favorite album of the year, Arcade Fire's The Suburbs, took home the top prize (although I still don't understand the difference between "Record of the Year" and "Album of the Year"). I decided to whip up a quick list of some of my favorite albums from 2010.

On many fronts, last year was pretty lame for me and Mames. The year was filled with curve balls and speed bumps. However, in terms of music, 2010 was very strong. Good tunes helped the year go by quickly. It was pretty hard to narrow down a list of my 25 favorite albums because there was so much I liked. Old standbys like Neil Young, Tom Petty and Johnny Cash were put aside for albums by newcomers like Local Natives and Sleigh Bells. There are a handful of records I never had the chance to hear (The Roots, Belle and Sebastian, Deerhunter, Jamey Johnson etc.) and tons of albums I liked but didn't make the cut. Narrowing a list down to 25 wasn't easy but I think I'm happy with my picks.

[Note:] Mandy has been asking me to do this post for sometime now and for whatever reason (laziness) it took me forever to get around to it. I feel badly that I have been putting it off so I decided to write the post today. I spent a good chunk of my day coming up with witty and insightful remarks (and a little trivia) about each album as well as songs to recommend. When I hit post a message popped up that said "An error has occurred blah blah blah unable to process your request." I somehow managed to delete four hours worth of work with the push of a button. I thought this program automatically saves but nothing but the first two paragraphs of the post and the pictures of the album covers saved. I then spent more time Googling how to recover lost blog posts but no dice. So because I don't have much time left, I will spare you my commentary and just leave you with a list of my favorite tunes of 2010. Better luck next year I hope. 


The Suburbs - Arcade Fire
Check out: "Sprawl II" and "We Used to Wait"


American Slang - The Gaslight Anthem
Check out: "The Spirit of Jazz" and "Bring it On"
Contra - Vampire Weekend
Check out: "Giving Up the Gun" and "Cousins"


Brothers - The Black Keys
Check out: "Tighten Up" and "Never Gonna Give You Up"

Teen Dream - Beach House
Check out: "Silver Soul" and "Walk in the Park"

Forgiveness Rock Record - Broken Social Scene
Check out: "Texico" and "Sweetest Kill"


This is Happening - LCD Soundsystem
Check out "Dance Yrself Clean" and "I Can Change"


High Violet - The National
Check out: "Sorrow" and "Bloodbuzz Ohio"

My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy - Kanye West
Check out: "All of the Lights" and "Runaway"


The Big To-Do - Drive-By Truckers
Check out: "Daddy Learned to Fly" and "Birthday Boy"


Body Talk (Trilogy) - Robyn
Check out: "Dancing On My Own" and "Time Machine"


Volume Two - She & Him
Check out: "Don't Look Back" and Ridin' In My Car"

Transference - Spoon
Check out: "Out Go The Lights" and "Nobody Gets Me But You"

So Runs the World Away - Josh Ritter
Check out: "Change of Time" and "Lantern"

Subiza - Delorean
Check out: "Stay Close" and "Simple Graces"
All Day - Girl Talk
Check out: "Let It Out" and "Down For the Count"

Plastic Beach - Gorillaz
Check out: "Some Kind of Nature" and "On Melancholy Hill

Treats - Sleigh Bells
Check out: "Tell 'Em" and "Rill Rill"

The Monitor - Titus Andronicus
Check out: "No Future Part Three: Escape from No Future" and "Theme from 'Cheers'"

Gorilla Manor - Local Natives
Check out: "Wide Eyes" and "Who Knows Who Cares"

The ArchAndroid - Janelle Monae
Check out: "Cold War" and "Tightrope"

King of the Beach - Wavves
Check out: "Linus Spacehead" and "Baby Say Goodbye"

Relayted - Gayngs
Check out: "Cry" and "Faded High"

One Life Stand - Hot Chip
Check out: "One Life Stand" and "Alley Cats"



Infinite Arms - Band of Horses
Check out: "Laredo" and "NW Apt."

3 comments:

lizard said...

I have such a love-hate relationship with your "best of" list each year. I love it because you always introduce me to new music that I knew nothing about and thoroughly enjoy. I hate it because I don't know how to pace my music consumption and I inevitably end up spending WAY too much time and money on i-tunes for several days immediately after reading your post.
That being said, keep em' coming.

Stacy said...

I'm mad you don't have a Justin Bieber album on this list!

Jane Says said...

fantastic list!!