Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Astoria



We got up Friday morning and headed 20 miles up north to a little town called Astoria. Our main reason for going to Astoria was to see all the "Goonie" sights, I'll have to ask Ben to blog about that later. It was a wet day but I think we got the most out of this tiny coastal town. Our first stop was the Astoria Tower atop Astoria's highest hill.

When we arrived I was feeling like it might be a waste to climb to the top because it was so foggy and rainy. After going into the visitor's center and discovering that it was only one dollar for us both to climb I quickly changed my mind! Such a deal!

Quick side note: When my family was in Pisa, Italy a few years ago we wanted to climb the Leaning Tower. We found out it was fifteen euro per person to climb! That seemed a little steep (no pun intended) to me but I was quickly humbled when I reached the top. My favorite photos from the trip were taken on top of the tower!



 


 















We paid our one dollar and started the 164 step climb to the top. The actual climb was very easy it was the narrowness of the stairs that made it a bit hard. It felt like you were spinning in circles as you were climbing which made me pretty dizzy!

When we got to the top we realized we were above most of the rain and fog, it was a nice break from the drizzle. This photo is looking out on Young's Bay and downtown Astoria.





Once we came down I convinced Ben to do the standard "Pisa" shot. Anyone who has been to the Leaning Tower of Pisa can relate to these photos. On the lawns at the leaning tower there are tons and tons of tourists taking pictures of them "holding up" the tower. I thought it would make for a funny shot in Astoria, OR. We got quite a few weird looks from passersby but I think it was worth it!

No comments: