Sunday, July 10, 2011

pick a little, eat a little, pick a little, eat a little, pick a little, pick, pick, pick...

Once again, one of those days when I wish I had remembered a camera! 
(Pictures brought to you by my dinky camera phone.) 
I'll be better about that! :-)
 A few days before Ben and I headed to Salt Lake City for a visit with his family, I took the kids strawberry picking at Biringer Farm. A friend of mine who has two kids, that my nanny kids love to play with, organized a big group to go out picking. My goal for the day was to cure William's distaste for strawberries and to get enough berries to make some jam. 
 I managed to accomplish both goals, William left the patch with red lips and red fingers from eating so many berries and I had about 13lbs to make some jam!

 The boys decided early on that we should have a 'picking contest' since we had two bins to fill. They announced it was boys against girls to see who could fill their basket the quickest. Well, like most young boys they easily got distracted by sticks that look like guns or bugs to examine, so Natalie and I ended up kicking their butts in the contest. :-) Nat and I walked away with 8 lbs. of berries in our bin and the boys only had about 5lbs. (2lbs. of which were most likely picked by me because I felt sorry for their empty basket). 

 I loved hearing them walk around in search for the biggest-reddist-juiciest-strawberry. It reminded me of one of my favorite kids books. Check it out here. Leave me a comment if you want me to send you a jar of jam!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jam for me please birthday girl :)

The Speres said...

Would love some jam! I want to pick some fresh strawberries so badly! So delicious!
We're so glad we got to see you guys a couple weeks ago. Hope you enjoyed your trip! Hopefully it's not 2 years before your next SLC visit!