Monday, July 14, 2008

Whidbey on a Whim

When I've taken a personality test in the past and come across a question that asks...

"Would you say you are a spontaneous or premeditated person?"

I always answer premeditated. I am a planner by nature and don't like things to just spring up on me. Some people might call me controlling, I prefer well prepared. No matter how "exotic" and "fun" spontaneous sounds I never can quite bring myself to be just that.

So when my sister & brother in-law called us with one days notice and asked if we'd join them for a night on Whidbey Island I felt like a rebel saying yes and going for it! Even with only 24 hours to prepare I had enough time look at a friends blog who had just visited the island and get a map to learn all the roads and towns we would try and visit that weekend. (See that's not controlling, just well prepared! :)

Our day started at the Mukilteo Ferry Terminal, Ben was very excited to ride the ferry.
We met up with Carrie & Colin (my sister and brother in-law) and headed up to Fort Casey State Park. My mom travels to Fort Casey every spring with the 5th Grade Class from her school for outdoor education. She has done this since I was a littler girl, so Carrie and I have spent a few summers exploring Fort Casey. It is a great place to play hide n' seek because there are lots of dark rooms where ammunition used to be store and little "containers" you can hide in. We had a fun game boys against girls. Notes for next time, pink pants are a dead give away in a game of hide n' seek!
Here we are in the ammunition rooms I mentioned above, we literally couldn't see ANYTHING. Carrie was legitimately scared, glad the flash on our camera could capture that! Next we drove all the way up to the top of the island to see Deception Pass. The walk across the bridge at Deception Pass is spectacular on a nice day. We also made our way down to a beach called Rosario Point and saw lots of sea life. Cool Seaweed! Then it was back down the island to Coupeville for lunch and finally to the beach house where we were staying. We finished off the evening with a little kayaking and a BBQ by sunset!

2 comments:

John and Bree plus 3 (and a dog!) said...

Looks like so much fun! I want to go kayaking next time!!! :) P.S. Lydia wants to go again too!

Unknown said...

Wow, that looks like a fun little trip. I love seeing Washington through your eyes.