Saturday, August 8, 2009

July Jam

It's that time of year to pick berries and make some delicious jam! I cheated this round, I bought a flat of raspberries at one of the local farmers markets. I do plan to make some black berry jam this weekend and I will be picking those berries in my parents back yard. (Or close to it!) The first time I made cooked jam it was a total disaster, I didn't know what I was getting into. I was at my mom's house and I was boiling the berries, adding pectin, reading directions, and trying to get the boiling water going all at the same time. My pot-o-boiling berries started to boil over and it was like raging lava flowing all over my mom's range. I am happy to report since that traumatic experience I have mastered the art of jam making and haven't had any berry lava since. Yes that's 7 cups of SUGAR!!!!!

2 comments:

The Speres said...

I'm way impressed Mandy! I don't make jam. I really don't make all that much seeing that I eat most of my meals here at the resort...oh how I miss the cooking days in Seattle.

John and Bree plus 3 (and a dog!) said...

What are you a food blogger now? Love the pictures! I would also love a jar of your jam. :) I'd trade you for some "mounds" biscotti! :)