Thursday, August 6, 2009

We Won't Forget About You or Now That You've Left

Today is a sad day. 1980s (and early 90s) icon John Hughes has passed away at the age of 59. Last month the web was replete with sentiments of how Michael Jackson defined the 1980s. MJ didn't do much for me but the cannon of Mr. Hughes was very important to my social and cultural development. Sure, I was not a teenager when he made his best work so I can't say that his films were a reflection of my experience. I can say, however, that I approached junior high and high school with the expectation that my experience was supposed to be like it was in Sherman, Ill. What I liked the most about Hughes was that he was one of the grown ups who "got it." He seemed to have a knack for what it was like to be a teenager who didn't fit in. It didn't matter what side of the proverbial track you lived on he wrote about teens with a sincerity that was appreciated. Although his films are very funny he also approached adolescence with a sense of seriousness that made you feel like perhaps you were not that much of an outsider. I'm sure over the next couple of days we are going to be reading heightened accounts of how important Hughes was and then we will get the inevitable backlash about how he shouldn't be praised. So for now while my thoughts are still fresh I thought I would bid a fond farewell:)
Btw for what it's worth I watched Pretty in Pink again two weeks ago and it still holds up. Who's up for a marathon?

1 comment:

Carrie said...

Ooh a movie marathon sounds great... We're game!