Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Deception Pass Tour

Ben and I love Deception Pass! When we have out of town guests, if we have time for the drive, we take them to the tall bridge to show off one of Washington's most spectacular sights. When Groupon (a website offering daily deals on local fare, entertainment, and more) advertised discounted tickets for a catamaran tour of Deception Pass we knew we couldn't pass it up!

The day we scheduled the tour our weather wasn't looking too good, but as we made the hour and half drive north the sun started shining! We boarded the boat in the sun shine excited to learn more about the area.


Blue Heron standing on the rocks.

This cliff side is the sight of an old prison rock quarry. In the early 1900's prisoners cut rock and loaded it onto a barge to be taken down to Seattle's waterfront.

A new perspective of the bridge that we've walked across numerous times.

Although the sun came out, some low clouds/fog remained in the area. The conditions made for some really cool spooky like photographs.

As we traveled west towards Deception Island (away from the bridge and mainland) it got foggier and foggier. At one point all we could see was few feet in front of the boat. I had no idea what direction we were going!

The tour was about an hour in length and was very fun! We learned all about the surrounding islands and why the water swirls and is very unpredictable in Deception Pass. It was a fun time and we'd recommend the tour to anyone visiting the area! (Especially if you can get a Groupon!)

After we got off the boat I wanted to get a picture of the two of us. So I did my usual, find a place to rest the camera, set the timer, and run. It was a little windy and my hair was all over the place, so I kept insisting we do another picture, and another, and another... I just couldn't get it right. Anyway, I think Ben was getting annoyed. We ended up taking about 15 shots before I was pleased. Below are a few of my favorites!

1 comment:

Life According to Scott said...

I love deception pass.... One of my favorite places on earth... I can not however walk across it yet. Last year we went on a crab feast boat and it was right under it very very fun.. SO yes I am with you on this one!